First aid for seizures



Dear Aunty Nurse Readers,

In the next few weeks, I’ll be doing a series on First-Aid. I have chosen to start this series now because, I’ve observed that a lot of us don’t know what to do in most healthcare emergencies. When I took my first International First Aid Course, it took me back in time.

I began to remember so many scenarios, particularly the case of a classmate of mine who passed away after having a seizure. At that time, I didn't think there was anything that could have been done to save her.

It was a regular evening in girls’ hostel and we were having evening prep (studies) after dinner. Next thing, she had a seizure and began to convulse. All I remember afterwards was, pandemonium, girls screaming and bucket after bucket of water being poured over her unresponsive body. It was a scary night. She was moved to the hospital and we all prayed that she would come back to school safe and sound.
How to place a person in recovery position


The next day we heard the worst news she passed away. After I took the First aid course, I realized that the situation was handled in the worst way possible. I don’t want to say more about this incident. I would however like to share some tips with you on the right steps to take if you find yourself in such a position.








HOW TO HANDLE A PERSON WHO HAS A SEIZURE


1.       Keep Quiet- Some seizures are audiogenic (stimulated/caused by noise) noise could cause the individual to continue to seize.
2.       Place the individual in recovery position. Focus on keeping the body in such a position that the fluid (foam) built up as a result of the seizure can drain out of the individuals mouth. This eliminates the risk of chocking on saliva.
3.  Do not put anything in the persons’ mouth
3.       Give them space and air
4.       Call your emergency number for Lagos 123 for LASEMS (if the situation seems out of control, repeated seizure or injury)
5.       If you follow the above steps, in most cases, the patient will recover; otherwise you’ll be glad you called the emergency number.



DO NOT POUR WATER OR ANY OTHER LIQUID ON THE PERSON

Have a lovely weekend!!
Signed
Aunty Nurse





No comments:

Post a Comment

Please post a comment here